So during this interview I was asked the following, and I am certain I was floundering.
- Log collection
What could a principle engineer ask about networking, the questions started out as follows:
- How does a webpage get rendered or how do you get to a webpage from your local machine to the server that renders the content?
- If you have a network of x how would you subdivide the network?
- You have to collection logs from x number of computers how would you go about it?
So on to what I suspect should be the solution or an appropriate answer
How does a webpage get rendered?
- Open a browser
- Type in the address to the address bar
- Request is sent to the server hosting the content
- Files are streamed over and rendered in the browser.
A little deeper
How does the browser know where the server is?
- Domain Name System or DNS, think of this like the address book for the internet.
One could certainly go on from here like types of entries in DNS, A Recordds, CNAMEs etc...
Subnetting is all about sub dividing a network. So IP Address is broken up into 4 8 byte sections.